The Best is Yet to Come
From paBanker Magazine's 2019 Q4 Edition: Volume 21.4
As the calendar year closes, I’d like to take some time to reflect on some of the successes of our members and the association in 2019.
The association had another wonderful year, full of many accomplishments and “firsts.” We continued our effort to support our strategic plan by strengthening our workforce development, advocacy and next-generation banker initiatives.
We assisted in the expansion of the BankWork$ program to another major city in the commonwealth, Pittsburgh. The first BankWork$ Pittsburgh class graduated in late November, and you can read more about the Pittsburgh program on page 18. We look forward to welcoming more classes in the future.
We celebrated the immense accomplishments of three of our members in two different next-generation banker competitions:
- American Bankers Association’s Lights, Camera, Save! Video Competition: We acknowledged the Central Dauphin High School/Centric Bank team, which won third place in the national competition, and the Line Mountain Jr./Sr. High School/C&N team, which was a top five finisher.
- CSBS Community Bank Case Study Competition: We celebrated Kish Bank and Juniata College as they brought home the national championship for the CSBS Community Bank Case Study Competition for their case study on the impact of regulatory reform on community banks. Additionally, this was a record year for Pennsylvania as 15 teams, represented by 15 banks and 11 colleges/universities, participated in the competition.
We are beyond proud of the accomplishments of all three banks, and we thank all participating financial institutions for their support of these competitions.
Additionally, this year we launched the PA Bankers H.Y.P.E. Awards program, which highlights young professionals who are influential in their financial institutions, the banking industry and their communities. We acknowledged seven winners for the inaugural year of the program, and you can learn more about those winners on pages 34-35. We look forward to honoring individuals for this program each year. The future of our industry is bright, and we look forward to seeing the impact that the next generation of bankers has on our industry in years to come.
As you may recall, at this time last year, our board voted to elevate advocacy within the association.
We have made tremendous strides to encourage advocacy among our members, giving you the tools you need to strengthen your voice and make an impact. This year alone, we have created an Advocacy Committee, which is populated with representatives from other PA Bankers committees; incorporated advocacy into several of our professional development events; and worked to increase our advocacy network through the annual Washington Visit, ABA Washington Summit, PA Bankers Day at the State Capitol and policy engagement with legislators. We thank you for your continued support of this important initiative.
While 2019 was a successful year for the association, we are already hard at work to reach our goals and continue our support of our strategic plan in 2020.
HERE IS WHAT YOU CAN LOOK FORWARD TO IN 2020:
- New Website Launch: We are excited to introduce our new website in early 2020:
www.pabankers.com. The website will have a new look and more tools for our members to utilize.
Read more about the new website on page 19.
- New App Launch: The association will also be launching a new mobile app early next year.
This app will connect us with our members like never before. To learn more about the app, visit our 10 on 10 on page 10.
- PA Bankers’ 125th Anniversary: We are looking forward to celebrating the 125th anniversary of our association and our first annual convention, held on Dec. 18, 1895. Get ready for a year of celebration, service and gratitude. We will update you in the next edition with more information.
On behalf of the entire association, thank you for your support and dedication to our association and industry over the last year.
Together, we are making a difference, and I cannot wait to see what we do in 2020!
President & CEO